Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Internal Number: R0018692
University of Minnesota Physicians (M Physicians) is a non-profit organization seeking driven individuals in both clinical and non-clinical areas to help transform health and medicine. Headquartered in Minneapolis, our organization employs more than 1,200 physicians, 300 advanced practice providers and 2,200 health professionals and staff throughout Minnesota and beyond.
Join us on a mission to advance medicine.
The Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Minnesota is seeking a full-time board certified Obstetric Anesthesiologist to serve as chief of its Division of Obstetric Anesthesiology. Academic rank, compensation and appointment track will be based on qualifications and experience.
The University of Minnesota was one of only 39 institutions awarded the distinction of "Center of Excellence" for obstetric anesthesia from the Society of Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology (SOAP) in 2019. The designation is determined by current clinical practice, proposed practice changes, and ongoing education in obstetric anesthesiology.
About the Appointment:
- The ideal candidate will have clear vision for advancing the subspecialty, experience collaborating with obstetricians and other colleagues, and proven leadership skills in crafting the future of the division.
- This position includes clinical duties working at University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis, MN. The clinical site is associated with a Level IV NICU at University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital.
- Work closely with the Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology to set and achieve departmental and division research, education, patient care, and quality and safety goals annually, and to develop future annual goals
- Division focuses on a Family Centered Cesarean Model. Position includes approximately 2500 deliveries per year, many of which are high risk.
- This position will include clinical services in both inpatient and ambulatory settings, along with teaching of medical students and residents.. Also includes the opportunity to cover general OR cases.
- Academic faculty will be active in their national organizations and foster an academic environment for medical students, residents and faculty.
- Candidates must have demonstrated ability in teaching and in scholarly productivity in one or more specialty areas in anesthesiology.
- 12-hour call duty schedule, in-house.
- Graduate of an accredited ACGME Anesthesiology residency and/or fellowship training program.
- Fellowship training is preferred but those with equivalent experience will be considered.
- Board certified with the American Board of Anesthesiology.
- Licensed or ability to obtain Minnesota Board of Medical Practice Licensure.
- Ability to obtain/maintain DEA certification in the State of Minnesota.
- Meet threshold criteria/qualifications for Credentialing and Privileges.
- Ability to receive work authorization in the United States from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and maintain legal status according to the requirements of VISA category while in the United States.
- Dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas of clinical care, education and research.
- Professional leadership experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and mentor multiple junior faculty.
- Minimum 5 years of experience.
- Experience with regional analgesia.
- SOAP member.
- Previous leadership or significant experience in obstetric anesthesiology is preferred.
About the Department:
The University of Minnesota is a large and diverse university and medical school with a large subspecialty practice plan of over 800 physicians, University of Minnesota Physicians. The Department of Anesthesiology's mission is "Training tomorrow's anesthesiologists, while treating today's patients." The department also has an ACGME approved residency program and four ACGME approved fellowships and regional fellowship which is not ACGME accredited at this time. More information about the department can be found at http://www.anesthesiology.umn.edu/
About the Division:
The Obstetric Division is charged with providing analgesia for labor and delivery, anesthesia for operative Cesarean Section and pain management for postoperative deliveries. The anesthesia practitioners offer an array of options to patients including continuous epidural infusions, patient controlled epidural analgesia, and intrathecal analgesia for labor and delivery, as well as epidural anesthesia, spinal anesthesia and combined spinal-epidural anesthesia for operative deliveries. In addition, the department routinely provides Transversus Abdominis Plane blocks for postoperative analgesia following cesarean deliveries.
The Division is actively involved in clinical research in such avant-garde areas as the use of liposomal encapsulated local anesthetics for long lasting pain relief. The Division is committed to the concept of patient-oriented/family-centric care to provide an atmosphere that focuses on the celebratory and joyous aspects of childbirth and minimizes the hospital component to the greatest degree possible.
Our skilled practitioners are guided by three main tenets: to provide pain relief to the best of our ability, to conduct safe and state of the art care, and in all instances to provide sincere compassion for our patients.
Our benefits package was recently recognized for its competitive and inclusive nature. Some highlights include:
- Comprehensive medical and dental insurance plans
- As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, we are a qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Best in industry 401K employer contribution
- Concierge services and a well-being allowance
More information can be found here: UMN Benefits and M Physicians Benefits.
M Health and Clinical Partnerships:
University of Minnesota Physicians providers practice at affiliated locations under the University of Minnesota Health (M Health) shared care delivery system. M Health represents a collaboration between University of Minnesota Physicians, University of Minnesota Medical Center and Fairview Health Services to create a nationally renowned academic health system that combines academic and community resources to provide the very best clinical care to patients and communities, while also supporting research and education across the joint healthcare delivery system.
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC):
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.
We are based in Minneapolis and consistently ranked as one of the best places to live in America by U.S. News & World Report. The Minneapolis-St. Paul area offers a high quality of life and a low cost of living. You'll find excellent school systems, a robust economy, an award-winning culinary scene, museums of all types, outstanding theaters, and a reliable international airport. If you love the outdoors, you can enjoy all four seasons with the plethora of lakes, parks, and some of the country's best bike trails!
M Physicians offers competitive salary and excellent benefits and provides you with the opportunity to enhance your career in the exciting field of health care through rewarding and challenging assignments and the opportunities for advancement.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.